Thursday, May 07, 2009

Doughnuts

This week I was inspired by "Cooking with Candis" and decided to try making doughnut holes. After being in America for 5 months, and enjoying doughnuts on a more regular basis, the kids have been missing them since our return to Taiwan. We do have doughnuts here, so no need to feel sorry for us, but they are in the next town over and we don't get to the shops much. The ones you find in the normal grocery stores look really yummy, but don't taste all that good. Ok, enough babbling!

Noelle was my "helper" (she even got on her little apron). She was in charge of mixing up the dough!
Deep frying....oh so healthy!
So, here is how they turned out. I know...not so perfect looking as the stores, but what do you expect from my first try at this. Actually, the darker ones weren't done completely. They were doughy in the middle...yuck! Next time I'll remember to keep the flame lower so they cook completely without burning on the outside. Half of the batch ended up in the garbage this time. Oh well!
Joe was one of our taste testers
"Umm...Mom, it's good!" Those were his exact words (he uses them with any food he likes)!
Elle liked them, too!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Way to go, Kris! Doughnuts are definitely an adventure. Sounds good with a cup of coffee about now.

Leingang Family said...

We love homemade donuts around here, too! Now you can have them whenever you want. Just make sure you do at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise every day from now on. LOL

Anonymous said...

grandma says they look good enough to eat and that Elle can't eat them all.......save some for me.
love grandma

Candis Berge said...

I think I'll have to try donuts soon! I am inspired from Cooking with Kris!